Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I'm having one of those days where I have a lot on my mind, but everything is kind of jumbled together and I can't figure out how to spit it all out coherently.

We moved back into military housing in April, after seven-or-so months of living in a civilian condo complex. I love it--we lucked out and landed a really nice house on a super-friendly street. The girl next door, E, is amazing and sweet and funny, and she's got the two CUTEST little preschool girls I've ever seen. Daisy thinks E is her second mommy, and is endlessly patient with the girls.



E's husband, C, is deployed, and she's running a little ragged with the girls and never-ending housework. E and C have been married for seven years, but the last couple of years have been pretty strained. I mean, it sounds like things are definitely starting to look up now, but for a while there last year, things were really bad. E's friend, J, just decided to send her kids to spend the summer with grandma, because her marriage has gotten to the point where she needs to focus entirely on fixing it, instead of worrying about her two small children. A, who lives in the house next to E, filed for divorce only to have her husband immediately leave on a deployment, leaving him conveniently unreachable.

I don't know what to think. I mean, military divorces aren't exactly unheard of. It's really hard being married to someone in the military. Yes, military brides kind of have an idea of what they're getting into before they walk down the aisle. But somewhere, in month six of what should have been only a two-month exercise in some country you're not allowed to be made aware of, patience and understanding and lovin' feelings fly out the window...not that I'm still bitter, or anything like that.

No comments: